Have you ever been warned by Windows Defender not to do this? If you’re looking to disable the default Windows antivirus, here’s how to do it.
The Windows 10 operating system comes with Windows Defender Antivirus, which is a powerful antivirus that protects you from a variety of threats, such as viruses, hackers, spyware, ransomware, and more.
This feature, which is available by default in Windows, is suitable for most users and meets their needs; However, in certain cases, you may need to disable this feature. For example, you may want to connect your device to the network, but you will not be allowed to. Or, when doing something special, this Windows feature will disrupt your work.
To fix these problems and sometimes other problems, we need to disable Windows Defender. Microsoft has fully integrated Windows Defender into Windows; Windows and Windows Defender are completely interdependent. So unfortunately we don’t have an option to delete it. However, this feature can be partially stopped by scrolling through the settings and through Group Policy and Registry or Windows Security settings.
In this Windows 10 tutorial, we are going to guide you to permanently and temporarily stop Windows Defender Antivirus.
How to Disable Defender Temporarily?
If you’re only going to do a specific task with your computer once, and the Windows antivirus is blocking it, Windows Defender doesn’t have to be permanently disabled, and you can do this temporarily.
To temporarily disable this Windows security feature on your device, follow the below steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for Windows Security in this menu and click on the first option.
- Click the Virus & threat protection tab.
- At the bottom of the Virus & threat protection settings button, select the Manage setting option.
By pressing the Real-time protection button and changing it to Off, Windows Antivirus will be disabled.
After completing these steps, the Real-time protection feature of Antivirus will be disabled, and you can install the program you want or do something that was not previously allowed.
If you want Real-time protection to be activated again, you can do the previous steps and only turn it on in the fifth step instead of turning off the Real-time Protection key; Or you can re-enable this feature by restarting Windows.
However, the above solution is not for permanent disabling and is only suitable when you want to perform a specific task by Windows.
How to Disable Windows Defender Permanently using Group Policy?
In the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions, you can permanently disable Windows Defender Antivirus with the help of the Local Group Policy editor. To do this, you need to do the following steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for gpedit.msc and open the first option at the top of the page, which is the Local Group Policy editor.
- In the Local Group Policy editor, go to Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Defender Antivirus.
- Double-click the Turn Off Windows Defender Antivirus file.
In the window that opens, click Enabled to disable Windows Defender.
- Then click the Apply button to apply the changes, and then you can click the OK button.
- Restart Windows by restarting the device. After completing the above steps and restarting, the default Windows 10 antivirus is permanently disabled on your device. After this operation, the shield icon will probably still be in your taskbar. You should know that this icon is a Windows Security application; Not Windows Antivirus itself. So if you’ve completed the above steps, you can be sure that your Windows antivirus is disabled.
However, you can enable Windows Defender again if you wish. Just do the previous steps, but in step 5 where you selected the Enabled option, this time you have to select the Not Configured option and restart your device after applying the changes.
How to Disable Windows Defender using Registry?
If you don’t have access to the Local Group Policy editor or have Windows 10 Home installed on your device, you can still completely disable Windows Defender’s antivirus program by editing some options in the Windows Registry.
Note: Windows registry manipulation is dangerous, and if you do something wrong, you may suffer irreparable damage to your operating system. It is recommended that you get a full copy of your computer before doing so.
To disable Windows Defender Antivirus completely, you need to edit parts of the Windows registry as described below:
- Open the Start menu.
- Search Regedit in the Start menu and open the Registry Editor option.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender in the registry editor.
Note: You can access the desired route faster by copying and pasting the Copy / Paste path in the Registry address bar.
- Right-click on the Windows Defender folder and select New, then create a DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the file DisableAntiSpyware and press Enter.
- Double-click the new file you created and change the value in Value Data from zero to one.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart Windows.
As before, by doing these steps, the Windows Defender antivirus program will be disabled and will no longer protect your system.
If you want Windows Antivirus to be activated again, follow the previous steps; Just in step 6, right-click on the file we created called DisableAntiSpyware and select Delete. Then, after restarting the system, the Windows antivirus program will be reactivated.
A Piece of Advice
Although there are several ways to disable Windows Defender; Our advice to you is to have an antivirus software on your system.
However, you may be in a situation where disabling this feature is the only option. If you are using another antivirus software, you do not need to disable Windows Defender, and this will be done automatically when you install the new antivirus.
If for some reason you don’t like Windows Defender Antivirus, you can consider other options like Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton and many more.
What do you think about the default Windows antivirus? What antivirus do you use?